Empowered Bodies: PG Students Conference 2018
Date: 26th of June 2018. University of York
- Professor Karen Throsby / Unviersity of Leeds
- Professor Nick Crossley / University of Manchester
We are pleased to announce our Postgraduate Conference for students and researchers interested in the role of the body in social sciences and the concept of embodiment as a source of critical reflection in diverse disciplines. We invite abstracts that deal with embodiment in any thematic or methodological way, from a diverse range of disciplines like Gender Studies, Politics, Philosophy, Geography, Arts, Health, Media, STS, Social Policy and any other approach.
Topics include (but are not limited to):
• Power, gender and identity
• Politics of the body
• Body transformations
• Health, Food and Practices
• Disabilities, agency and control
• Affect and Emotions
• Technology, humans and cyborgs
• Body as Mediation
• Arts, performance and creation
• Cultural representations of the body
• Measurement, tracking and datification of the self
Masters and PhD Students are particularly encouraged to submit an abstract, as well as other postgraduate students in early stages of analysis, as this is an excellent chance to present your work in a constructive and supportive environment. We also welcome works in progress by any other level of early career researchers.
If you are interested in presenting a paper, please submit an abstract of up to 300 words to email@example.com by Weds 18th of April 2018 at 5:00 pm. (NOTE: If you cannot pull together an abstract by Wednesday but think you could get one in shortly after, just drop them a line.)
We also welcome any other form of presentation or performance such music, dance, video, etc. as long as it can be fitted within the program. Please send us your idea with your abstract, and try to be as specific as possible of any technical or room requirements and the kind of activity that you would like to present.
Please direct all enquires to firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration open at: https://www.york.ac.uk/sociology/about/department/2018/empoweredbodiesphdconf2018/
Weight Stigma Conference latest:
- Late-breaking poster abstract submission still open: https://stigmaconference.com/abstract-submission/
- Early-bird registration ends 15th April 2018: https://stigmaconference.com/registration-2018/
- We’re still some way from our goal to provide bursaries to all presenters who need one. Please help make the WSC more accessible by making a donation to the Bursary Fund – every little bit helps: https://www.gofundme.com/stigmaconf2018
A big thank you to our major sponsor: Frontiers journals. For a full list of sponsors of WSC 2018, click here.