FYI. (And you can hop on a plane right afterwards and come to WSC 2018!)
Calling All Abundant, Fat, Plus Sized, Succulent, and Thick Peoples From All Over!
This year at the Allied Media Conference in Detroit, Michigan we are coming back together as a network gathering to continue our conversations and expand on the work we’ve done in previous years. This is Abundant Bodies 5th Anniversary and we want to make this year BETTER than ever. How can we work together to deconstruct fat stigma and other forms of marginalization while building a stronger and more inclusive fat community? How can we challenge ourselves to decenter whiteness, capitalism, ableism, cissexism, heterosexism and classism while we explore what it means to be fat? We will explore these questions and create media and practical strategies for resistance, healing and community building.
We are looking for a variety of session proposals that may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Fat community 101 –
- How to love your body
- Ally building for thin folks and privileged fat folks
- Body autonomy and social media
- Anti-racist fat activism
- Skillshares and tools for surviving and thriving
Bodies, health and movement –
- Breaking down connections between health and weight
- Body movement / dance / practice for all bodies
- Fat sexuality
- Super-sized community members
Fatness at its intersections –
- Fatness and femme identity
- Fatness and masculinity
- Sci-fi bodies as fat, queer and people of color
- Dis/ability and fatness
- History of indigenous / people of color / Black / trans / dis/ability / supersize fat activism
- Tools for young fat folks
- Breaking down discussions about fatness through race, class, gender and other identities
Submit a proposal for the gathering here.
Everyone at the Abundant Bodies team hopes to see you there on June 14th to kick off another amazing AMC weekend.
**The deadline for proposals is April 1st.**